Green grade – easy trails
- Green grade trails are suitable for: beginners or novice cyclists.
- Bike required: most bikes and mountain bike hybrids are suitable.
- Skills needed: basic bike skills are required for this grade.
- Trail and surface types: these will be relatively flat and wide. Trail surface might be loose, uneven or muddy at times. Might include short flowing singletrack-style sections. Some green routes can take trailers.
- Gradients and technical trail features: climbs and descents are mostly shallow. No challenging features.
- Suggested fitness level: suitable for most people in good health.
Blue grade – intermediate trails
- Blue grade trails are suitable for: intermediate cyclists or mountain bikers with basic off-road riding skills.
- Bike required: basic mountain bike or mountain bike hybrid.
- Skills needed: basic off-road riding skills to cope with uneven surfaces and small obstacles.
- Trail and surface types: as for ‘green’, plus specially constructed singletrack trails. Trail surface might include small obstacles of root and rock.
- Gradients and technical trail features: most gradients are moderate but might include short steep sections. Includes small technical trail features (such as roots and rock).
- Suggested fitness level: a good standard of fitness can help.
Red grade – difficult trails
- Red grade trails are suitable for: proficient mountain bikers with good off-roading skills.
- Bike required: quality off-road mountain bikes.
- Skills needed: good off-roading skills and techniques to cope with technical trail features.
- Trail and surface types: steeper and tougher, mostly singletrack with technical sections. Expect very variable surface types.
- Gradients or technical trail features: a wide range of climbs and descents of a challenging nature will be present. Expect boardwalks, berms, large rocks, medium steps, drop-offs, cambers and water crossings.
- Suggested fitness level: a higher level of fitness and stamina is required.
Black grade – severe trails
- Black grade trails are suitable for: expert mountain bike users, used to physically demanding routes.
- Bike required: a good quality off-road mountain bike is needed.
- Skills needed: advanced level off-roading skills and technical ability.
- Trail and surface types: as for ‘red’, but with an expectation of greater challenge and continuous difficulty. Can include any useable trail and might include exposed open hill sections.
- Gradients or technical trail features: expect large, committing and unavoidable technical trail features. Sections will be challenging and variable. Might also have ‘downhill’ style sections.
- Suggested fitness level: suitable for very active people used to prolonged effort.