I remember the first time I properly started listening to English pop songs was in class 12th. And I have been hooked on ever since. And one of the first few songs that I had listened to (and watched) was P!NK’s “F**kin’ Perfect” which was , well, perfect to me both lyrically, musically and aesthetically (even if it has a swear word).
P!nk has been credited throughout her career for pushing the envelope and delivering amazing songs with each album. And which is why I believe that it is unjust on a pop music lover’s part to not to know about P!nk or her discography.
P!nk or Alecia Beth Moore (which FYI, is her real name) has been active on the music scene since the beginning of this millennium and has since, gone on to build on her discography and reputation with her impeccable artistry which has gone on to influence several musicians of the modern times. And here are some of the reasons why I want to celebrate her awesomeness in my own small way:
1) Because she has a unique stage name: Alecia got her stage name from the character “Mr. Pink” in the 1992 film Reservoir Dogs when she had just begun performing in clubs around the age 14. At that age, I was fighting with my seating partner over my lunch and homework. (*sigh*)
2) Because she was a part of this awesome collaboration : In 2001, Pink, alongside singers Christina Aguilera, Mýa as well as rapper Lil’ Kim, performed a cover of “Lady Marmalade” for the soundtrack of the film Moulin Rouge!. In the US it became the most successful airplay-only single in history, as well as Pink’s first #1 single. It also went on to win her first ever Grammy award. Beat that!
3) Because she regarded as the “most trailblazing artist” of her pop generation : P!nk has long maintained a tight control over her artistry in the process since the Missundaztood days (her first major hit album) as she was “tired of being marketed as another cookie cutter pop act, as well as eager both to be seen as a more serious songwriter and musician and to perform the type of music she wanted to”. In the words of Robert Hilburn of the Los Angeles Times, “Pink stood up for her music, broke the music industry’s mould and scored a breakout hit, challenging a school of teen singers to find their own sounds as well.” Totally agreed, stamped, authenticated!
4) Because she starred in these hilarious video- I’m Not Dead, her fourth album’s lead single, “Stupid Girls”, not only earned her a Grammy Award nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance but also its music video, in which she parodies celebrities such as Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson, Mary-Kate Olsen and Paris Hilton won the MTV Video Music Award for Best Pop Video. Check it out to believe it yourself.
[vsw id=”BR4yQFZK9YM” source=”youtube” width=”600″ height=”450″ autoplay=”no”]
Also, don’t forget to look at this hilarious Pepsi commercial she featured in with Beyonce, Britney and Enrique!
[vsw id=”pES8SezkV8w” source=”youtube” width=”600″ height=”450″ autoplay=”no”]
5) Because she is the queen of the live performances: P!nk is as much known for her aerial acts particularly the trapeze in her live concerts and performances as she is known for her tattoos and songs. Once such performance was during 2010 Grammy Awards, performing the song “Glitter in the Air” for which she received a standing ovation. (*totally touched*)
6) Because you got to know that she was into movies as well : P!nk voiced the character of Gloria in Happy Feet Two! She also sang the movie’s theme song, “Bridge of Light”. She made her acting debut as a sex addict, Dede alongside Gwyneth Paltrow and Mark Ruffalo in the 2013 movie Thanks for Sharing which was heavily praised by critics. Talk about being multi-talented.
7) Because she is an unconventional style icon: She has often been seen as “adventurous” and has had hair styles such as fluorescent spikes to pink-streaked dreadlocks to a pitch-black skater cut. She even has a whole lot of incredible tattoos on her. Regarding her style, she told InStyle, “I’m eclectic. I’m a tomboy, but I’m kind of a hippie and kind of a gangster […] I don’t know if that’s a good thing, but it is my thing.” And I totally ship it.
8) Because she inspired a legion of modern day superstars: British soul singer Adele considers Pink’s performance at Brixton Academy in London as one of “the most defining moments” in her life, saying “I had never heard, being in the room, someone sing like that live. I remember sort of feeling like I was in a wind tunnel, her voice just hitting me. It was incredible.” Pink’s work has inspired several other artists including Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Demi_Lovato, Ashley Tisdale, Cher Lloyd and Victoria Justice. Wow! Just, wow!
9) Because she even knows how to get her man! :
Pink met professional motocross racer Carey Hart at the 2001 X_Games in Philadelphia. She proposed to Hart in June 2005 during a motocross race in which she was “assisting” and wrote “Will You Marry Me? I’m serious!” on a pit board. He initially didn’t notice but When he did notice later, he veered off the track to accept right then. She then made him finish the race because she wouldn’t marry a loser! They married on January 7, 2006 and have a beautiful daughter now. Que this ladies!
That’s all folks! If you can conjure any other reasons on why P!nk is awesome or any other artist you would want to see in this column, feel free to share your thoughts below! 😀